Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Faster Harder Louder. Metal links.

I'll do this with dots since concocting articulate phrases starts to be a long lost skill in my arsenal of expression.

  • The first and only ten points out of ten go to the Wacken Open Air festival. If I ever regain my writing skills I will enchant you with a few impressions at a later moment. But it really was faster, harder and louder. Good thing I didn't forget my ear plugs.
  • Decrepit Birth. Possibly the best sound in Technical/Progressive Death Metal ever to emerge from the American scene since Death and Cynic. Unfortunately for them... (but I'll leave this for the next two dots). "Diminishing Between Worlds" and "The Enigmatic Form" available on their Myspace page are highly recommended. The sound is an excellent blend of Death's Symbolic and Cynic's Focus, less fine tuned than the former and less jazzy than the latter but there is still space for improvement.
  • As I was saying, competition is tough because after 14 years of absence, Cynic is preparing a new album scheduled for this autumn (October 28th actually). I had the enormous pleasure and honor of listening to the guys playing live at this year's Wacken festival at the beginning of August and it's only growing bigger and bigger as the days pass by. As an appetizer to the upcoming album I have the pleasure of pointing you - Metal fans or not - to the superb Evolutionary Sleeper.
  • I could keep going on and on about Cynic but I cannot help quoting Lee Steadham's review of "Focus" on the "Satan Stole my Teddybear" zine : "To call this act 'technical' would be a cruel understatement; Focus sounds like three Dream Theater discs playing simultaneously, if John Petrucci had six arms and a four-neck guitar (okay that's not entirely fair - Cynic have TWO guitars). There are polyrhythms and time-changes shooting about everywhere, stabilized by a healthy jazz/fusion influence and an obvious understanding on how to blend these clashing styles into a coherent intellectual trip even the musical layman can appreciate". Economics morituri salute Michael Phelps, Metal morituri salute Cynic:)
  • If you ever wondered where the intro passage of Marduk's With Satan and Victorious Weapons" comes from, I now have the answer. You know it : "Because you were inspired by the Devil? Yes. That's it. I was inspired by the Devil! I am... inspired by the DEVVVVILLL! Lucifer! I summon you!". Well, it's a sequence from The Name of the Rose, part of the dialogue between Bernardo Gui and Remigion da Varagine during the latter's trial for heresy. A nice exchange and an even nicer Black Metal tune prefferably to be played between the two key moments of the day, brushing your teeth and preparing the first coffee.
  • And yes, I almost forgot. It looks like science confirmed it :"A little prayer does no good and may make things worse. Much prayer helps a lot". I don't know if this really proves that saints are listening - under certain circumstances of course, it's not like going to Walmart - instead there is factual proof that God listens... to SLAYER!
This being said, I wish you all an excellent in-between time after the morning coffee and before the teeth brushing or vice versa.