Thursday, November 15, 2007

Goalies. Should I Stay or Should I Go.

Interesting assertion about goalkeepers' behavior when confronted with penalty kick. Statistically, they should remain in the goal's center and (I assume) jump only after the kick is shot. It's always nice to discover that a personal conclusion is scientifically confirmed. Nevertheless I bet that once goalies would start jumping considerably less and stay more in the center, the statistical distribution of the kicks will alter accordingly in the sense that more penalty kicks will be shot on the sides, shots that are considerably more difficult to stop than a center kick. The real question here is whether the goalkeeper's efficiency would improve by changing his behavior of which I'm not really sure - except if they adapt their physical aptitudes to grow springs instead of feet, in which case strikers also will also specialize in shooting mostly in the upper corners and so on and so forth.